Thursday

Yummy (and Healthy) Cheesecake

One of the things I did to help myself to stay healthy was to sign up with SparkPeople for ther Daily Healthy Recipes. I recently got a recipe for a Citrus Cheesecake, and as the self appointed Cheesecake Queen, I decided to give it a try without looking at how many calories you get per serving. The cheesecake was delicious and I found out that one slice (1/12 of a cheesecake) was only 177 calories, so I thought I'd share the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
Crust Ingredients
nonstick cooking spray
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Filling Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 8-oz. packages nonfat cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 300º F.
2. Prepare the crust: Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, mix crumbs, brown sugar and butter then firmly press mixture into bottom and 2 inches up the sides of the pan.
3. Prepare the filling: In a large sized mixing bowl, combine sugar and flour then add vanilla, cream cheese, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Add milk, sour cream, citrus juices and peels and beat until smooth.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, using clean and dry beaters, beat egg whites at room temperature at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg white mixture with cream cheese mixture.
5. Pour into prepared crust and bake at 300º F for 1 hour or until set. Remove from oven and let completely cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
6. Sprinkle with grated lemon, lime and orange zest before serving (optional.)

3 comments:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Yum, that sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree this sounds healthy but I am not sure about delicious. I am definitely going to try it though with these ingredients like wheat flour, nonfat cream cheese, and 1% milk. If it taste as good and rich as a regular cheesecake then awesome. May I add the recipe to my site http://www.cheesecake-recipes.org

Sage said...

Alli, feel free to add it and give it a go. I'm a big fan of cheesecake, so I'll have to check your site out as well, tell me what you think!